3 Facts To Know About Your Meat
Fire up the grill my little bees, it’s time to cook up some meat. While this little pinup knows how to cook a good steak, and the veggies that go along with it, sometime I can get a little confused about what’s what on the labels.
If you are like me, here’s a handy outline to help you decipher your choices before you break out the charcoal.
TIP #1 – Understand “Organic” & “Grass Fed” Beef Classifications –
- Organic beef is fed only certified organic grains and grasses, never treated with growth hormones or antibiotics, and given unrestricted outdoor access—is expensive and hard to come by!
- Grass Fed beef is beef raised solely on a diet of grass is which is a healthy option because it is higher in nutrients and lower in fat. It can be more strongly flavored—some say its richer, while others are less complimentary—and it is much leaner, making it easy to overcook.
TIP #2 – What to Look For… When Buying Meat from a Supermarket –
- Be sure you’re getting fresh, quality meat by checking for good, red color and taut, clear plastic wrap and passing up any packages in which blood has pooled in the bottom (a sure sign that the meat has been sitting on the shelf for a while).
- Look for meat with consistent marbling, red blood, and nice color.
TIP #3 – How to Store Recently Purchased Meat –
- Most beef can be stored in the packaging it comes in at the bottom of the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days (depending on how fresh it is when you buy it), but check the expiration date, if it’s provide on the packaging.
- Ground beef, hamburgers, and variety meats do not keep as well and should be eaten within 1-2 days.
That’s awfully helpful. I think I can handle that when picking up my burgers and steaks for this weekend’s backyard parties. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and shake some cocktails to go along with my steak.
* My Southern California Lifestyle with Entertainment, Celebrity Gossip and Pinup Girls * Subscribe to BusyBeeBlogger.com’s FEED, and follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ , Pinterest and Instagram!