October 4 Is National Taco Day! Celebrate Three Ways With These Tacos
It’s a day worth celebrating. October 4 is National Taco Day! I am such a sucker for Mexican food, and I am not alone. Last year, Americans ate over 4.5 billion tacos, so it’s no wonder this food staple has its own holiday.
To help you celebrate, I have a few recipes from Chef Aarón Sánchez and Ortega.
Chef Aarón has also teamed up with Ortega to host a National Taco Day Twitter party to reveal the most delectable Taco recipes, tips, and tricks for the occasion. We would love your for you to share the news with your readers – it kicks off at 1:00pm on the 4th (follow @Ortega and @Chef_Aaron for more details).
These recipes are great for entertaining, or for kicking up dinner on a weeknight. And how great would these also be for Cinco De Mayo?
ENJOY THE TACOS!
FUNDIDO FIESTA FLATS™
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
1 lb ground beef
1 package (1.25 oz.) ORTEGA® Taco Seasoning Mix or 40% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix
½ cup water
6 oz. American cheese, cubed
1 jar (16 oz.) ORTEGA® Salsa (any variety)
Chopped fresh cilantro
12 ORTEGA® Fiesta Flats™ Taco Shells
- Brown beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, combine cheese and one cup salsa in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds, until smooth.
- Evenly spoon meat mixture into Fiesta Flats™ and top with the cheese mixture. Top with additional salsa and sprinkle with cilantro.
Makes 4 servings.
ZESTY FISH TACOS WITH CABBAGE AND TANGERINE SLAW
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 3 minutes
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
Juice and zest of 1 lime
3 tbsp ORTEGA® Guacamole Seasoning Mix
4 cups shredded red cabbage
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 tangerines (cubed, seeds removed)
Chopped fresh cilantro
2 lbs white fish fillets or shrimp
1 package (1 oz) ORTEGA® Fish Taco Seasoning Mix
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 box ORTEGA® Taco Shells (any variety)
1 jar (16 oz.) ORTEGA® Thick & Smooth Taco Sauce (any variety)
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice and zest, and guacamole seasoning mix. Add red cabbage, onion and tangerines and mix to combine. Set aside for 20 minutes
- Cut fish into 1 ½ inch chunks and toss with taco seasoning mix. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook the fish until it’s opaque and the edges are slightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes, turning once
- Fill taco shells with fish chunks and top with the slaw. Sprinkle on chopped cilantro and top with taco sauce.
Makes 5 servings.
SPINACH, CARAMELIZED ONION AND BLACK BEAN TACOS
Prep: 8 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp ORTEGA® Taco Seasoning Mix (or 40% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix)
¼ cup water
1 can (15 oz.) ORTEGA® Black Beans, drained
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (10 oz.) package fresh spinach leaves, washed
¼ tsp salt
1 can (4 oz) ORTEGA® Diced Green Chiles
8 ORTEGA® Taco Shells (any variety) or ORTEGA® Fiesta Flats™
Crumbled feta cheese
1 bottle (8 oz.) ORTEGA® Taco Sauce (any variety)
- In a large skillet, heat half (1½ tbsp) of the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes, until the onions are a rich brown. While the onions cook, heat the beans in a small saucepan.
- Stir the taco seasoning mix and water into the onions, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more to thicken. Spoon the onions into a serving bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, increase the heat to medium-high and add the remaining oil. Cook the garlic in the hot oil for 10 seconds, just until it’s fragrant, then add the spinach leaves, a handful at a time, stirring and adding more as they wilt. Sprinkle with salt and diced green chiles and continue to cook until the spinach is tender, 3 to 4 more minutes.
- To serve, mound beans, spinach and onion in taco shells or Fiesta Flats™ and top with crumbled feta and taco sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
* My Southern California Lifestyle with Entertainment, Celebrity Gossip and Pinup Girls * Subscribe to BusyBeeBlogger.com’s FEED, and follow me on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ , Pinterest and Instagram!