The Perfect Any Time Of Day Recipe – Whole Wheat Blueberry Coffee Cake
Image via NestFresh Eggs
To celebrate National Egg Month, BusyBeeBlogger was given product to review by NestFresh in exchange for this post. All editorial content is our own.
January is National Egg Month and to celebrate I was originally thinking that I would share one of my favorite eggs Benedict recipes. But, there is just something about this time of year that makes me want to bake. What I love to bake most are things that I can have for breakfast or dessert. That usually involves me making a coffee cake. I just love a good coffee cake. When I found this recipe for Whole Wheat Blueberry Coffee Cake thanks to NestFresh eggs, I knew I was going to be one happy camper. Make a batch of this delicious blueberry coffee cake this weekend for breakfast and see how great it is for a snack and if there is any left, for dessert.
Click for the recipe!
• 2 sticks butter, room temperature
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup greek yogurt
• ½ cup low fat milk
• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1 cup all purpose flour
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 3 NestFresh Egg whites
• 1 ½ cups blueberries
• 3/4 stick butter, cold
• ½ cup flour
• 3/4 cup brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line and grease a 9×13 baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add greek yogurt and milk.
4. In a separate bowl combine whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
5. Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
6. In another clean and dry bowl, beat the NestFresh Egg whites until they form a stiff peak.
7. Carefully fold egg whites into coffee cake batter.
8. Gently stir in blueberries and pour batter into the baking dish.
9. For the topping, combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
10. Add sliced cold butter and cut butter into the flour/sugar mixture using a pastry cutter or two knives.
11. Sprinkle topping onto batter.
12. Bake coffee cake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife is inserted and comes out clean.
Whipping those NestFresh egg whites and then folding it in to the cake makes this recipe a little more light of a texture.
At NestFresh they are leaders in ethical, cage-free, non-GMO, free range eggs. They have a pasture raised standard. Each of their pasture raised hens enjoys at least 25 square feet of open farm land. Chickens are allowed to roam free, eating plants and insects (their natural food) along with commercial feed. The hens from NestFresh are also CA SEFS Compliant, meaning that they have plenty of room to move around. The farmers of NestFresh believe that having happy hens makes for better eggs and happy people.
Pastured eggs provide a wealth of benefits for consumers. Compared to commodity eggs from caged hens, pastured eggs have been proven to provide more vitamin D (four times the amount), beta carotene (seven times), vitamin E (three times) and vitamin A (66 percent more). They may also contain 33 percent less cholesterol and 25 percent less saturated fat.
Celebrate Egg Month and grab yourself a pack of NestFresh eggs. Send me your recipe with a photo, I’d love to see how you enjoy your eggs!
Blueberry coffee cake image and recipe via NestFresh
*Blog for Southern California Lifestyle. Fun, Food, Fashion and Drinks.* Are you receiving the Busy Bee Blogger newsletter? Sign up for all of the updates on news, recipes, and fun!*